Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Open House!

The medical school I want to go to hosted a "Premed Day" which consisted of the med school, pharmacy school, nursing school... and some others showing off their programs and their labs.
A couple notes from the day:

The Pharmacy Director is OMG Hot

At the beginning of the day there were presentations from each of the departments. The pharmacy director then comes on. Okay, she's pretty good looking. She starts talking and WOW, she just blew my mind away. She was a natural talker, comforting, and witty. I'm a sucker for these kind of people. I felt compelled to talk to her when everyone broke into small groups. Yeah. Hot.

Rural Areas and Service: Lead by Example
If you don't already know, I don't live in a metropolitan area. The medical school down here always looks for people who wants to serve the rural and undeserved areas of my state. Everyone who wants to apply knows this and everyone pretty much has the Pavlov-like reaction of saying "I want to serve in a rural area" when asked "what do you want to do after med school?" Unfortunately, admissions has caught on and has a slide specifically for this response. If you do say you want to work for the poor people, show it. Volunteer or do some service in a rural area to show that you are genuinely interested.

Why Do You Want To Be a Doctor
Before going into an interview or better yet, before starting any of the med school process, this is a question that needs to be answered. It's one of the main reasons why they deny an applicant. "Because I want to help people" doesn't count. Unfortunately, this is my answer because I haven't really thought about a more thoughtful and elegant one. I've always felt the need to serve back the community and family that has given me the opportunity to thrive. I guess that's a start, but it's better than my original reason why I got into the biological-related field to begin with. I don't think they'd appreciate "to bag a nurse" as an answer.

Kick Ass On the Interview
Good grades aren't the only factor that gets one into medical school. Work on interviewing skills, don't show anger or immaturity.

Kick Ass On the MCAT
On the flip side, a good interview isn't the only thing that will get one in either. It depends on the school but usually they will look at both the interview process (make sure you're not an ass) and the MCAT/GPA (make sure you have the capacity). In my case they look at the interview and academic scores equally. Speaking of which, I should get back to studying.

2 comments:

  1. Well if the pharmacy director is that hot, maybe you found your alternate answer to "baggin a nurse" :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you reason you should say: "Nurses r hawt and I want to write scripz for oc160mg for myself LOLZ just kidding because I care for the children."

    ReplyDelete